[OM] Re: Macbook core duo (1.83) versus macbook core 2 duo (2Ghz)

Subject: [OM] Re: Macbook core duo (1.83) versus macbook core 2 duo (2Ghz)
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:36:28 -0600
swisspace wrote:
> I have just received my new macbook and as I still have the old one I
> thought I would see how they compare, I don't want to upset the windows
> guys but two and a half hours after it arrived I had reinstalled the OS
> to get rid of the apps I don't need and then copied all my apps and data
> across from the other machine. whilst carrying on with work, no wonder
> most  of us sysadmin's use a mac ;-)
>
> In normal use seems a bit snappier, but time to start CS2 has dropped
> from 36 secs to 18 secs a HUGE improvement. Importing into aperture is
> also quicker, I have not tried lightroom yet, but boy am I glad my other
> machine failed.

I noticed that it was significantly zippier on my shiny new 2.33GHz 15"
model than my Dual-1GHz Quicksilver G4, with 1.5gb of ram.

I loaded Parallels as well, with XPsp2 on it. Haven't tried to load the
Windows version of CS2, since I don't really need it on the laptop, and
the XP environment is primarily for the DeLorme gps stuff.  However, the
XP "box" feels roughly like a 1.something GHz pentium, maybe a bit
faster. Pretty impressive for a virtual machine running in a window.
Now, maybe I'll install OS/2 just to be different... ;-P

Otherwise, I love Lucy (MacBook Pro is just too damn hard to say.
PowerBook rolled off the tongue.  And Lucy is the wife's middle name.)

I'm taking it on our Eastern Caribbean cruise next week. I'm also
bringing the user manuals for the E1 and the FL50.  Figure I have plenty
of time to keep experimenting around the boat, offload to Lucy, and see
what works and doesn't.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon