[OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #316

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #316
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:23:30 -0500
Stephen Scharf wrote:
> Richard,
> There's lots of good reason why "customers" would do it for free...
> they value what Adobe is doing for them and they value being
> engaged in the development process. I know I do...

Hmmm, "what Ad*be is doing for them".  I think Ad*be is more concerned
about what they do for themselves.  I'm cynical enough to feel that as a
corporation, they want a happy customer base with their needs fulfilled
but only because that means profit for them.  In other words, I don't
feel it's people (in this case, Ad*be Corporation) doing good deeds for
other people (the customers) because that's a wonderful way to live and
the fact that we (Ad*be) make money because of this is an added bonus.
I feel it's more of find out what the potential customer base think they
want, give it to em and then take their money, as much as they'll pay.
Geeezz, I really am an old cynical bast*rd. :)

> I know how seriously Adobe takes VOC, because they sent a team of
> three User Researchers
> to visit me last year to understand my needs for the type of photography
> I do. They spent three hours with me,...

Hopefully they paid you for your time.  I wonder how many other pro
photographers they made a visit to?  I bet this is where they gathered
the majority of input that determined the design of Lightroom.  I wonder
if the input from the Beta testing is changing much of that design or is
being used to work out the bugs?  I still feel the Beta testers should
be compensated for their time, at least the ones who offered serious
input.  A free version of the final release would be nice in my opinion.

Regards,
Richard L