[OM] Re: Fuji S9500 and Canon 300D Digital Cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Fuji S9500 and Canon 300D Digital Cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:59:21 -0800
ScottGee1 wrote:
> Well, you might want to read Simon's conclusions before considering
> the S9500 a replacement for the 300D:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page15.asp

Also, there is a huge difference between an EVF (electronic viewfinder)
and a true SLR view through the lens. Some people are comfortable with
EVFs and/or LCDs on the back for framing their shots. Others dislike it,
and some HATE it. Although better than they were, they are a bit short
on detail and quite poor in dynamic range. I don't know about this Fuji,
but some are also a bit slow.

I strongly urge you to play with the S9500 to see how the viewfinder is
for you before seriously considering one. And for those who like using
an LCD, the one on the S9500 is oddly small. I know you are on a tight
budget, but buying something that isn't pleasing to use and/or doesn't
do the job costs more in the end.
> ScottGee1
>
> On 11/21/06, Allan Mee <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> ................ In addition, the Fuji S9500 can make
>> short movies at up to 30 FPS at VGA resolutions (NOT that I'm looking to
>> make any movies - but it could be useful to have a few secs of movie
>> sometimes, to accompany the shots of/at a wedding, say).
If you actually plan to use movie mode, check what it actually can do.
>> I didn't actually
>> play with the camera because I might have said 'blow the Canon' and just
>> bought it. I suspect the camera shop I'm getting my Canon from (hopefully)
>> will have both cameras and I'll be able to have a play with, and good chat
>> about, both.
A really, really good idea.
>> The Fuji S9500 really is a handsome beast of a digicam and I'm
>> sure that only knowledgeable 'photographers' would know its a not a full
>> DSLR.
It seems to me you are overly concerned with how the camera looks
compared to how the images it makes look. And I assure you that
knowledgeable photographers will be able to see the image differences in
many cases.

Two list members who make an important part of their income with
photography and especially with the kind you aspire to do have sold
many, many images made with the diminutive Minolta A1, and no one made
fun of their unimpressive looking camera. It's the results that count.
>> It would quickly pay for itself (I hope) doing portraiture - although
>> the thought of maybe one day accidently scratching the lens or dropping the
>> thing worries me. I thik if Fuji gave it a  bayonet mount with
>> interchangable lenses (and kept it at more or less its current price) they
>> really would have a entry level DSLR to challenge Nikon and Canon for entry
>> level digital photographers.
There are numerous reasons why this isn't technically and economically
possible. Among others, the sensor is so small that it would require a
whole new line of lenses just for that format. Even now, the jury is
still out on the long term fate of the considerably larger (than the
S9500) sensor size of the 4/3 standard, mostly Oly, DSLRs.

Moose