[OM] Re: Fuji S9500 and Canon 300D Digital Cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Fuji S9500 and Canon 300D Digital Cameras
From: Patrick Moore <paddy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:08:21 +0000
* On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 10:52:59PM +0000, Allan Mee said:

> I see what you mean.
> One wonders how many people like me have bought the Fuji/Sony etc. digicams
> because there's no real DSLR around the ?300 mark. You can get a real [entry
> level] DSLR for around ?400. Maybe that's the motive behind the new D40?

I imagine it is... a little over 3 years ago, when I was just getting into
photography in a proper way (I'd had a little P&S fuji digicam for 4 years
before hand),  I began looking at Digital SLRs.   They were well outside my
budget -- student life doesn't pay too much; sadly.   However the Fuji
S5000 had just been released and it had had reasonable image quality and
performed well and I went for it.

It performed admirably for what I wanted and needed (and it still going
strong),  but it acted as a gateway to photography proper ... I picked up
my dad's old OM-1, and went out to take more and more photos.

But now I'm looking at the digital SLR ... (current front runner being the
K10D /if/ image quality holds up..)

if the D40 has been available at that price 3 years ago,  I'd certainly
have gone for it.

p.

--
Brought to you by the letter W and the number 37