[OM] Re: UK Odyssey Camera

Subject: [OM] Re: UK Odyssey Camera
From: "Marc Lawrence" <MLawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:22:59 +1100
> Jon Mitchell wrote:
> [...] I'm having a little "deadspot" creatively with the
> photography at the moment, so I'll load it with B&W and
> see if it re-inspires me.  Things are a bit damp and grey
> round here at the moment, though.

G'day Jon,

That's how I feel (as I mention in another email). I find
a project, with some constraints, but open otherwise,
helps get me out of that deadspot. For me, as you seem to
imply, it's B&W, and, in my case, a 50mm prime. The
constraint is more of a kind pruning for me, stopping my
eye from being driven to distraction by possibility (though
Peter says I've got a single-processor mind - it doesn't
parallel-process at all well :-) ). I hope it works for
you too.

For what it's worth, I like those "damp and grey" days.
Here, on my days off, full-sun can be a contrasty nightmare.
I like Hyde Park, and old terraces and innercity
laneways (ie. old dunnycart lanes) where there are shapes,
and old things, and texture, and assorted oddities, that
b&w and overcast works well with (and some reflective
dampness or puddles can work wonders on the light). I've
hundreds of pictures of these irrelevancies - most folk
seem bored by them, but I like them. :-)

I hope you get your eye in, Jon.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz