[OM] Pricing Puzzles

Subject: [OM] Pricing Puzzles
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:20:49 -0500
OK, so it's Friday night and I'm at the computer still trying to work out
whether I want to abandon Olympus Digital for Nikon or Canon. It's kinda fun
to do all the research, but much less fun to contemplate forking over the
bucks to change systems, but also not so much fun contemplating the
continued use of years old technology. I really could use high ISO, low
noise, and the ability to print larger and cleaner.

But, that said, I'm in the research zone and the phone rings. Turns out it's
a guy who bought one of my prints out of a restaurant about two weeks ago.
He'd had it shipped to him, never mind the expense. At first I thought maybe
it had arrived broken, but no, that wasn't it. Everything was fine, he said.
Then he told me he worked for a company that produces jig saw puzzles.
Everyone at the office loves my picture, he said. They want to know more.
We're meeting this Sunday so he can peruse a goodly portion of my work.

Jig saw puzzles. I never would have thought. So my question is this: Does
anyone out there have any experience with this kind of sale? I got some help
here recently when I sold a picture for use as a corporate Christmas card,
but this seems like maybe not so much the same thing. I don't even have a
ball-park estimate of what photographers make for jig saw puzzles. I'm
guessing it may be related to stock rates, but that's just a guess. Like, is
it a one-time sale, or are there royalties based on puzzle sales?

I sure would appreciate any information on the subject. I'm still trying to
get over the idea of walking into the local Wal-Mart and seeing one of my
pictures staring back at me from the puzzle shelf.

Bob, Puzzled in Maine