[OM] Re: Velvia 50 returns

Subject: [OM] Re: Velvia 50 returns
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:32:43 -0800 (PST)
> I see that Fuji are re-launching Velvia 50. Not that all you
> digimaniacs will be bothered, eh?

Well, I had *thought* I shot my last.  But until a 10+ MP
ubercam joins my harem, Velvia might still have its day.  But I
have been transitioning over to C-41 films because of ease of
development as well as scanning.  I can get C-41 processed
anywhere, E-6 is getting tougher and much more expensive.

Since I recently purchased a very nice scanner (Coolscan V-ED),
I'm able to easily mix and match digital with film from the same
project.  In reality, the workflow isn't that bad.  Just shoot
the film, have it one-hour developed, cut it into five-frame
strips (for sheet filing anyway), stick them in the scanner and
let it auto scan them.  Do a little WB matching and on my way I
go.  What is really exciting is that Adobe Lightroom works with
RAW, JPEG and Tiff files so interchangeably, that it is a breeze
to get them matched up and filed into the project.

Back to Velvia 50:  Fuji really screwed it up with Velvia 100.
There is a marked difference in acutance and lateral halation
properties. I really enjoy scanning Velvia 50, but Velvia 100
and Provia just don't do anything for me--the lack of apparant
resolution is noticable.  Velvia 50 just has a "crispness" which
is missing in the newer films.  Frankly, Velvia 50 didn't even
have the "crispness" of the late-eighties Fujichrome 50.

At this point I question whether or not I'll get any Velvia 50.
The E-6 train may have left the station.  Portra films and the
Nikon scanner seem make for each other.

AG

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.