[OM] Re: Interesting OM oddity for sale

Subject: [OM] Re: Interesting OM oddity for sale
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:54:20 -0500
At 09:58 AM 11/14/2006 -0500, John Hermanson wrote:

>It is a polaroid back, but as I recall it produces a 24 x 36mm image on
>a 4x5 (?) sheet of polaroid film.  Rare, odd, but not very usefull, imo.

My brother and I both have OM Polaroid backs, and have found them useful
for doing things like night shots with light-painting.  When Amtrak's Acela
trains were first introduced, they wanted a night shot of one at
Philadelphia's 30th Street Station.  Now, an Acela train is rather long, so
you can't simply light it with a T-32 flash.  You have to "light paint" by
walking along the train, repeatedly firing your portable strobe onto the
side at predetermined intervals as you go (we used orange traffic cones to
mark where to "stop and fire").  There's no way to tell if you're evenly
illuminating the train or if ambient light is overpowering the scene
without one of these things.  Put the OM on "B," open the shutter and bang
away.  We had two OM's (each with a different lens) and a Sinar 4x5 set up
with Polaroid backs on each.  The backs were really useful in getting the
lighting "just right" since we couldn't go back and do it again if we
messed up.  Also you get two OM images on one sheet of 4x5 Polaroid.

Basically, it serves the same function as the LCD review on a DSLR for a
film camera - instant feedback (well, it waiting a whole minute for the
picture to develop can be called "instant").

A side benefit: The Amtrak people helping us out were thrilled to see the
Polaroids, so we let them keep them.  Good PR stuff for us!

Steve Troy