[OM] Re: Microtek question

Subject: [OM] Re: Microtek question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:40:18 -0600
On 11/7/06, John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a 4000t film scanner that has developed a problem.  Whether I'm
> using the Microtek Scanwizard Pro 6.6 or latest Silverfast Ai software,
> here's what it does.  I slip in the negative holder and scan for the
> thumbnails.  Then I pick a frame for a pre-scan .  When the software
> starts the pre-scan, the screen view blinks and the thumbnails come up
> from when I last used the SLIDE holder.  The pre-scan continues and the
> selected frame comes up, but it's cut in half by the mismatched slide
> holder. It's as if the scanner can't tell which holder is loaded.  I've
> uninstalled both twain drivers and re-downloaded and re-installed. I'm
> using PS CS.  Anyone else see this before? Sure puts a crimp in my scanning.
>
> ___________________________________
> John Hermanson
> Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
> 21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
> 631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
> http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1 AT verizon.net

John,
This happens to me occasionally with my Polaroid SS4000 (same beast
under the skin).  I don't really understand the behavior.  I usually
remove all media and turn the scanner off and then on again.  That
usually helps get it reoriented.  Make sure you always remove the
media before shutting the scanner down once you get it working
correctly again.  (Not saying you caused the problem!)  I think I've
even rebooted the PC to get things back to square one.  I think the
beast may also be a little fussy about when the media is loaded in
relation to when the software is started up.

Anyway, I think the firmware is a little buggy.  I don't think what
you are experiencing is evidence that anything is truly broken.

Joel W.