[OM] Re: Scanner recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner recommendation
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:51:13 +0000
Synchronicity or what?
I've just been given a PrimeFilm 1800 negative and slide scanner - I lost
out to a 3600 on eBay that went for - sorry is currently going for - £97.
Apparently mine can scan at 1800 dpi which a seller of one on eBay says
scans at 4 Megapixels. The 3600, if the seller is to be believed, scans at
18 Megapixels. I've not tested mine yet - as I need an appropriate USB lead
- can't find my USB printer lead at the moment. Think it got borrowed. It's
looks simplicity itself to use. Put the negative strip in the slide, switch
on and lign up the appropriate negative and hit the scan button. 10s later I
should have a 4 MP image that I treat as any other digital image. Anyway,
hope this post is of some use.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Russ Butler <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: OMlist <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Scanner recommendation
>Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:23:45 -0500
>
>I'd like to get my feet wet scanning 35mm negatives and perhaps, later,
>some of my ancient slides.
>
>I usually have film developed and scanned at Costco (~3087 x 2048) and
>the results are generally good enough for me. However some scans
>surprise me and I often wonder what's really there. e.g. a scan that's
>clipped at both ends.
>
>I'd like to get an inexpensive scanner (~<$300) for my first attempt. I
>don't have interest in scanning anything larger than 35mm, so I'd assume
>an actual film scanner would be appropriate. But I don't know much, and
>web homework hasn't helped.
>
>TIA for any recommendations, comments, etc.
>
>--
>Russ Butler (NJ USA)

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Download the new Windows Live Toolbar, including Desktop search!
http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb