[OM] Scanner recommendation

Subject: [OM] Scanner recommendation
From: Russ Butler <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:23:45 -0500
I'd like to get my feet wet scanning 35mm negatives and perhaps, later,
some of my ancient slides.

I usually have film developed and scanned at Costco (~3087 x 2048) and
the results are generally good enough for me. However some scans
surprise me and I often wonder what's really there. e.g. a scan that's
clipped at both ends.

I'd like to get an inexpensive scanner (~<$300) for my first attempt. I
don't have interest in scanning anything larger than 35mm, so I'd assume
an actual film scanner would be appropriate. But I don't know much, and
web homework hasn't helped.

TIA for any recommendations, comments, etc.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)