[OM] Using those old time (and cheap) flash units

Subject: [OM] Using those old time (and cheap) flash units
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:56:12 -0500
I've been having some off-list discussion with Tim Hughes on Quantum
Turbo cables, compatible power packs and flash units.  I just sent him
the following and thought it might be of more general interest to the
list.  Where I mention the Sunpak 422D you can also substitute a T-32 if
you have one.  Not quite as versatile for manual usage but perfectly
adequate and when used with an external power pack it's even a bit
lighter and will also operate without AA's installed.
---------------

I have a couple of Sunpak 522's which used to be my main flash units for
covering events but I've sworn off the handle mount units for the
lighter Sunpak 422D's mounted on a Stroboframe Quick Flip 350.  I
already had one with an OM TTL foot and bought another with the STD foot
for backup.  I only shoot flash in manual mode with the 5D so the TTL
foot is unnecessary.

The Stroboframe gets the flash up higher and centered over the lens so
there is less visible background shadow than with the potato mashers.
They 422D's are also much lighter and, unlike some other manufacturer's
flash units, the Sunpaks  can operate without AA's installed which makes
them lighter yet when used with an external power pack.

I find it's much easier to up the ISO dial on the 5D than double the
size, weight and price of the flash unit to pick up an extra stop.

Chuck Norcutt