[OM] Re: E-400 Caution

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 Caution
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:34:30 -0500

" I would only really need it if I get the 70-300 DO.
> Maybe someday I would consider an
> EOS mount 300mm but I haven't even looked at any descriptions of them
> yet."

The 70-300 may have your name, errrr, picture on it:  scroll down a tad.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-70-300mm.shtml

The DO's look like good performers in a quite small package.

I can't get off square one on deciding on a AF lens for a 5D---no time to think
for a few weeks yet.
Will likely use it as digital film for Zuikos for awhile unless swing for the
double rebate for a 24-105 f4 IS.
Pnet has mixed reviews as well.  The vignetting is complained about
vociferously (not hard to fix), modest flare issue; but the softness in the
corners at Fl>70-85 or so is a major issue.  Some have used DXO optics Pro to
recapture some resolution (some were very satisfied with this approach, not
just in comments on their sponsored web site) and fix the higher CA on FF and
vignetting in one shot.  Others have used PTlens (whole lot cheaper), though it
doesn't do the deconvolution analysis  or other technique to regain some res in
the corners. Hard to justify  springing for multi 100 dol software to fix a >1K
lens, though may be a satisfactory solution.  Johnny clearly likes the lens
just fine (as do others) in his landscape applications, when it is stopped down
a bit.  Other options: Tokina ala Chuck, Tamron or just start with Tamron MF
35-105  f2.8 adaptall.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/145/cat/11

Mike
AOL Mail and more.