[OM] Re: Jammed OM1

Subject: [OM] Re: Jammed OM1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:18:59 -0800
R S wrote:
> Just bought an OM1 camera. Meter works and the camera looks great.
> Put a roll of film in it and half-way through the shutter and advance lever
> - jammed.

Half way through the first advance or half way through the first roll?

If the first, I don't know.

If the second, most likely sticky/slow wind latches. This can be checked
and released with the bottom off, but will tend to occur again until the
latches are cleaned of dried, sticky lube and re-greased. On most, if
not all OM-1s, that requires drilling out a rivet to take them off,
tapping the hole and finding a screw to hold the cleaned and lubed
latches on.

A less satisfactory repair by flushing the latches with a solvent and
using a thin grease may be possible. But there is the danger of solvent
getting in the wrong place and making things worse. Also, if that grease
is too old, grease in other parts needs replacement too, the symptoms
just haven't shown up yet.

Both John <zuiko.com> and Clint <olyfix.com> of this list are trained
Oly repair techs and can do a cleaning, lubrication and adjustment,
(CLA) to make it work like new.
> Is there any way to unjam the camera on my own?

Yes, temporarily, if you are at least moderately mechanically adept.

Moose