[OM] Re: Bibble E-1 profile

Subject: [OM] Re: Bibble E-1 profile
From: "David Irisarri" <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:32:34 +0200
Hi James,

If I were you I would forget about Bibble Labs. Their software isn´t up to
Fourthirds standard. Colour rendition is never accurate and sharpness is
disgusting. I have tried RawShooter Premium (recently acquired by Adobe
Systems) and it was superb. Adobe Lightroom will be a nice tool. I also have
tried PhaseOne CaptureONE and demosazing algorithms are a little bit worse
than Olympus Studio but their E-1 colour profile is simply awesome (made by
Etcetera consulting). I tried also Apple Aperture and colour is also good
but they forgot to add support for four-color-ccd and Kodak KAF-5101CE is
one of those, so a labyrinth maze pattern is applied all over the image.
Maybe they have solved this issue in their new 1.5 release.
If you want a truly awesome E-1 RAW processing, do the following procedure:

1. Download the latest release of David Coffin DCRAW software here:
http://www.lebsanft.org/blog/index.php?cat=9

2. Download a trial release of PhaseONE CaptureONE and install it. Then go
to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color
and look for "Olympus E-1 generic V3" This is an awesome colour profile.

3. Now you need the best sharpening tool for E-1 images. Download it from
here:

http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/focalblade/index.htm This program
has a stellar sharpening performance.

4. You also need an inverse gamma 2.2 to apply it under Photoshop. You can
download it from here.  http://www.aim-dtp.net/ This is a very nice place to
learn many things about image processing. Download all these curves from
here: http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/download/gamma_curves.zip

You´ll need them to go from gamma 1.0 to gamma 2.2.

5. Now you´ve got all the tools for generating a very high resolution E-1
image.

Put all your ORF images in a directory but also DCRAW program and under a
ms-dos window write the following syntaxis:

dcraw -w -o 0 -f  -3 *.orf

You can use also noise reduction and highlight recovery with superb results.
It´s very important that your RAW image has an accurate whitepoint because
this will be requiered for getting a superb colour rendition. I also
recommend buying WHITEBAL http://www.rawworkflow.com/

Once all your images have been converted to psd files, go to Photoshop and
do the following procedure:

1. Open your image.
2. Assign E-1 ICC profile that is located in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\Olympus E-1 generic V3.icc
3. Apply inverse gamma 2.2 under Photoshop menu -->
Image-->Adjustments-->Curves-->Load curve-->(look for the directory were
you´ve decompressed your gamma curves.zip file downloaded from
http://www.aim-dtp.net/
4. Convert the image to AdobeRGB.
5. Adjust Saturation.
6. Adjust Contrast and whatever fine adjustments you wish.
7. Use FocalBlade to sharpen your image under filters menu.
8. Convert the image to sRGB for internet purposes or store it in AdobeRGB.

You´ll be amazed of final quality!!! No other software in the market will
give you such a great resolution. This is the only way for using E-1 100%
resolution. Believe me, I have spent hundreds of hours trying many software
packages. Olympus must release a professional software package with their
new forthcoming E-3. Khen, please report this to Olympus headquarters ;-)

Very kind regards,

David Irisarri