[OM] Re: [photos] a couple more ...

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] a couple more ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:01:39 -0700
Patrick Moore wrote:
> 'ello OM
>
> Following on from last time's kitten photo, here's another one ... slightly
> better:
>
> http://the.earth.li/~paddy/random/photo34_30a.jpg

Very nice! So much more grown already!

I didn't say anything here, it was just too soon after Tom's much bigger
loss. Our beloved Mona died a little over a month ago - on her terms, as
she always lived.

It's not time for a replacement yet, and I don't know what form it may
take, but we could have a little fur ball around here again.
> and a small landscape from the same day, just later on in the evening:
>
> http://the.earth.li/~paddy/random/photo20_16a.jpg

This is very beautiful.

As a technical matter, there is a lot of "halo", in this case, a bright
line, along the edges between the dark buildings and the lighter sky.
This comes from sharpening, LCE and/or ShadowHi. You can avoid it by
making a separate layer of sky before applying any halo causing
functions t the base layer. The sky layer will cover the halos. Usually,
you can separately apply such functions to the sky if you want without
problems.

In the case of a sharply defined line like this, it's also possible to
correct later, but it's more work. With skylines with trees, etc. it
never as good corrected as avoided in the first place with proper
technique. Here's the problem I'm talking about
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Paddy/Skylinefp.htm>.

Moose