[OM] Re: some summer & fall shots

Subject: [OM] Re: some summer & fall shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:35:17 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Hmmm.  Looks even better than I would have guessed starting only from
> the JPEG (which was fortunately not blown).  Tell me, master, what is
> your selection/masking secret for this shot?

This isn't an easy one. The bright and dark areas don't have a clear
dividing line at all. Basic idea is to select the brighter areas with a
variety of selection tools and copy to a new layer. I think I used
Select Color, then deselected and adjusted smaller areas; something like
that.

Then brightness, curves and a little LCE and/or ShadowHi. I don't recall
exactly, but both ShadowHi and LCE can produce halos, and did on the
bridge lines, so whatever I did, it was sparing. Too bad, as lowering
brightness and overall contrast, then using LCE just makes the area pop.

Moose