[OM] Re: How does digital photography change cameras and photography?

Subject: [OM] Re: How does digital photography change cameras and photography?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:54:25 -0700
On 10/12/06, Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The problem with digital photography is that it reduces the
> > incremental cost of taking a photograph to essentially
> > nothing. The photographer thus has zero motivation for paying
> > any attention to what he's doing.
> >

> Yeah, a bloke at work was "lecturing" to me yesterday.  It went something
> like this "soon there will be no professional photographers as it's so easy
> for anybody to just keep pressing the button until the picture comes out
> right".  My immediate thought was of the thousand monkeys on typewriters
> that would eventually write all the works of Shakespeare - won't happen,
> they'll just produce endless garbage, something about entropy I reckon.
>
> ...Wayne

If 100 very good pictures are posted, most people will still find 10
that they like quite a bit more than the others. No matter how good
they are, some will be prefered. A skilled pro is just someone who can
create the prefered ones reliably enough to earn a living. If someone
has a "good eye", they don't need to know much about how the tools
work to create very good images. That's the way it should be with a
good tool. I've been surprised with how good many of the photos posted
on flickr are ... and how many "pros" there are ;-)

Think about this list. The most prolific poster of very high quality
photos seldom talks about the tools. I don't believe GB earns a living
as a photographer either.

Some people are fascinated playing with the tools. Some are fascinated
with the results of the tools. Both can provide valuable results.

-jeff