[OM] Re: Super light telescope

Subject: [OM] Re: Super light telescope
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:45:35 -0700
An f8 69mm objective gives a focal length a little less than 560mm. He
doesn't have to worry about disturbing birds a few hundred meters
away? He should have said he won't have to worry about photographing
any detail in them. Clearly seeing someone's face 3 km away ???
Perhaps on a billboard.

A Tamron 400 + 1.4x TC = 560mm is good for very roughly 10 meters
depending on the size of the bird. I took some long shots of some
Ospreys nesting on a tufa column in Mono lake. The view didn't compare
to the Kowa spotting scope the ranger was using. There's a very big
difference between seeing and photographing.

An 1/8 th wavelength correction is probably good enough but nothing to
promote as high precision.

-jeff