[OM] Re: OM-4 speed ring help needed

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 speed ring help needed
From: S Revlis <srevlis3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the tips guys. I did think that the detent notches looked worn.
You've got me wondering why that would made the ring harder to move, I would
have thought being rounded off would make it move more easily or perhaps even
slip out of position.

  If I go with the file approach; what shape is the file, round, square? Would
I be trying to put right angles where edges are rounded?

  Where is the friction comming from anyway? Is it from the small ball bearing
that goes into the notches or from the teeth in the gears, or the pressure from
the plate on top or where? Should I get some lube on the offeding bit.

  Where can one buy a new dia?

  Sorry for asking so many questions. I appreciate all the help.

John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you've used the camera a lot, the shutter speed ring detent notches
are probably worn down, leaving a small rounded area. As an emergency
fix, you can lightly file each notch with a small rat tail file, or
replace the dial.

___________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com | omtech1 AT verizon.net

S Revlis wrote:
> Thanks a ton. I got the right tooth so all settings are good.
>
> I still think the speed selector ring is too hard to turn even after I
> cleaned things up. I want to apply some lube but some people say it'll just
> attract gunk. On the other hand some say a small about of Teflon based spray
> is the way to go.
>
> If I can't loosen it up, then it's no fun, and I might as well just go back
> to my big old R5.
>
> Anyone's best advice for lubing the speed ring and I'd thank you kindly...
>
> Mark wrote:
> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 20:25:15 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mark To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 speed ring help needed
>
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, S Revlis wrote:
>

>>I took off and cleaned the speed selector ring but moved the toothed wheel
>>in the mirror box which tells the camera which speed it's at (manual). So
>>I turned the wheel until 1/60 showed in finder then put the selector ring
>>back on with 60th on top and thought I'd done a good thing. Everything
>>looked good at first, speeds from 2000th to 1 match in the finder and on
>>the selector ring and in my ear, I need to push the little botton to get
>>to Red 60th but here is the strange part: when I select "B" the shutter
>>goes at something fast maybe 60th maybe more. What did I do wrong? How
>>to fix it? Thanks
>

> Sounds like you're off by a tooth. Here's a picture of what it should look
> like at 1/2000: http://olympus.dementia.org/misc/OM-4_dial.jpg
> Adjust the dial so that it looks like the one in the picture and your
> bulb setting should come back.
> -mark

List usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.