[OM] Re: Sinar P2 or wait for E-X?

Subject: [OM] Re: Sinar P2 or wait for E-X?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:27:05 -0700

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I'm sure that's a good price but I think I'd start out with something a
> lot cheaper if you're just a hobbyist and not sure how you'll take to
> 4x5.  The camera and lens are just the start.  You'll have to invest a
> lot more in the end.

There is an alternative way of getting from ground glass image to print.
All the high end Epsons and the Canon 9950F flatbed scanners will scan
4x5 film and at least the V7xx series Epsons will scan 8x10 film. One
example here
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Canon_9950F/page_13.htm>.

So once one has the camera, lens, film holders, etc., only film
processing tanks or trays are needed before a $360 scanner can move the
image into the digital darkroom. Of course, 4x5 or larger trannies are
directly viewable, too.

Moose