[OM] Re: Is the ME-1 any good? Re: Re: the ME-1 -- a cautionary note

Subject: [OM] Re: Is the ME-1 any good? Re: Re: the ME-1 -- a cautionary note
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:50:38 -0700
Moose wrote:
> Jez wrote;
>
>> Boy, I'm glad I live in a place where I've never heard of Earthquake
>> Wax!

I've lived thru some pretty good ones, here in So. Cal. since '58, and while I
have some earthquake wax, I've never got around to using it! Not even my wife,
who you'd think would jump on it right away.
But, as you say, the level of shaking we have here is so non-threatening, we
sort of shrug it off.
So far (I'm careful to say) at worst we've ended up with ceiling cracks and
toppled bottles, and cupboard doors opening, stuff like that.
Nothing really serious.
All around us, all hell broke loose, but not here!
I don't plan on moving!  <BFG>

> Earthquakes are nothing. I just watched a Nova program on "Super
> Volcanos". The last time one blew, 75,000 years ago, it spewed about
> 5,600 times as much material into the atmosphere as Mt St. Helens, 230
> times as much as Krakatoa,  and may have precipitated an ice age.

Mein Gott! That was 73,000 B.C.! Or, as they say now, B.C.E.
Which one was that, please?

> They happen much less frequently than earthquakes, fortunately. My
> nearest ones are Long Valley, just SE of Yosemite and Yellowstone
> itself. both are still active, in that the land is slowly rising as the
> magma chambers fill. Nothing likely to happen for at least a few
> thousand years.
>
> Moose

So we hope...

keith