[OM] Re: Manual focusing of the e500?

Subject: [OM] Re: Manual focusing of the e500?
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:08:11 -0500
On 9/29/06, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So far, the biggest problem I have with the e500 is focus failure
> when taking pictures of mechanical things, especially close-ups.  For
> some reason, such subjects just flummox the autofocus mechanism,
> despite having plenty of light and the better (f/2.8-3.5) lens.  Even
> repeated coaxing and coddling failed to convince the camera to focus
> properly, shot after shot.  This leaves manual focus, which is pretty
> awkward and imprecise on the e500.  Unless I'm missing something.
>
> Any ideas?

I was experimenting with this phenomenon the other night at a football
game.  As I would drift into a darker area the lens would hunt and
then just go completely out of focus.  Two problems: low light and
lack of a straight line in the frame, the latter being the more
critical element, really.  I found that rocking the zoom collar just a
little sort of reset the focusing process and got it to grab on again.
 Not exactly the best thing for close-ups, but you might see at least
if that works for you.

Joel W.