[OM] Re: Manual focusing of the e500?

Subject: [OM] Re: Manual focusing of the e500?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:10:15 -0700
Candace Lemarr wrote:
> Hi, Kem :-)
>     I'm not going to  be much help...but it doesn't seem there are many of
> us here using the E-300. :-) I've not found any way to do what you're
> requesting. You all have much more experience than me, but it would seem to
> me that it should not retain those same values when switching between modes.
> Otherwise...what would be the point? Aperture mode is all about maintaining
> the aperture you want regardless of shutter speed or exposure. As Shutter
> priority mode's only real purpose is to maintain your desired shutter speed
> regardless of aperture or exposure. In my experience here, each mode (unless
> your E-300 is naughty like mine...very very naughty) should retain the
> previous settings in that mode, but will not take those same settings into
> the next mode you put the camera in. I don't know if that made sense.
> So...if you have the shutter speed set to 1/500 in shutter priority, then
> switch to another mode, then back again to shutter priority, the shutter
> speed should still be the same as it was when last you set it in that mode,
> 1/500.
You are correct, Candace. That's how every camera with these controls
that I've used has worked.
> But it most likely will not be the same as it was in say Aperture
> mode, which tends to use a slower shutter speed in general.
That's not right. Aperture mode can't have any bias. It simply takes the
aperture you set and the brightness from the meter to set the shutter
speed. Any perceived bias will be a result of the user tending to set
different apertures in that mode than are supported by the shutter
speeds the user tends to set in the other mode..

If you set 1/500 in Shutter mode and the camera sets f8, then if you set
Aperture mode to f8 with the same light, shutter speed will be 1/500. It
can't really work any other way and give proper exposures.

Moose