[OM] Re: no longer blinded by the blissful light

Subject: [OM] Re: no longer blinded by the blissful light
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 07:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
WS wrote:
> The OM system is hardly obsolete, any more than a Nikon F or
> Leica IIIf is obsolete. But technology changes...

True, technology does change. But some aspects of the human
element don't.  Chopsticks are ancient technology--the Fork and
Knife long since deemed a superior eating technology.  Why,
then, does arguably the most technologically modern society
(Japan) still use chopsticks?

Had Olympus taken the IS-3 and made an OM-mount version of that,
they could have stayed viable in SLR world a whole lot longer.
Only in the last handful of years has auto-focus advanced to the
point where it is an obvious advantage over manual-focus. (but
not in all cases).  I used my IS-3 the other day for a little
project--what a sweet camera it is. The lens is very good, but
yet, it isn't an OM--not in handling, nor in operation. The lack
of a focus ring killed that camera.  I just can't get over that
the LCD display cannot be used for chimping.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com