[OM] Re: The end of the world as we know it--part 400.

Subject: [OM] Re: The end of the world as we know it--part 400.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:22:34 -0700
Rob Harrison wrote:
> I'm starting to think of these "third party digital backs" as so many rolls
> of film that will be used up. At about $32/roll for PortraNC by the time I
> buy it, develop it, scan it at development, etc a Xti body is about 25 rolls
> of film--say five or six months' worth of my normal shooting...a 5D is more
> like 100...maybe two years' worth.
Interesting approach! Doesn't work out quite the same for me, though. A
five pack of Portra 160NC from B&H is $20 plus shipping. Since I've
usually bought it with other things, shipping for it isn't much. Last
roll of 36 I had developed and cut into strips of six was $3.60. I scan
it myself, so the total out of pocket is about $8 per roll. So the 5D
was about 335 rolls.

I guess I have to find more expensive film/process/scanning and/or up my
rate of image making. If I run out and fire off roll after roll of
virtual film, my payoff period for the camera magically shortens. Soon I
will be in a profit position! :-)

Moose