[OM] Re: Opinions? 28-90 F2.8-3.5 VIVITAR SER 1 MACRO?

Subject: [OM] Re: Opinions? 28-90 F2.8-3.5 VIVITAR SER 1 MACRO?
From: Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:06:18 -0700
Just noticed this thread. I have the S1 28-90, and can give you a limited
opinion - I don't pay all that much attention to optical quality. I use it
as my main "walk-around" lens (accompanied by a Zuiko 75-150). This is
actually my second one, both bought used - the first from KEH, the second
from a list member. I gave up on the first one when the zoom started getting
sticky, especially in cold weather; I figured it was cheaper to replace than
to have it repaired. This one is now starting to get a bit stiffer to focus
at the 90 end, but is otherwise fine.

Plus: good f/l range, reasonably fast, no zoom creep, macro to about 2"/5cm

Minus: weighs nearly as much as an SSR, flares very easily

Plus or minus (you decide): two-touch

Michael

On 9/23/06 1:06 PM, "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]
> The only thing I vaguely remember about the S1 28-90 was that it had some
> fragile mechanicals. (I could be mixing it up with the S1 28-105). The yahoo
> vivitar group had some comments awhile back by someone who briefly said the
> 28-90 was great but I have no idea what his frame of reference is.
[snip]