[OM] Re: OT Computer monitor question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Computer monitor question
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:55:48 +0100 (BST)

> years old) and a Matrox Milennium G400 card. The second is equipped with
> an TFT (17" EIZO, 4 years old) and an ATI Radeon 9600.

The Matrox g400 was a nice card for 2d work e.g. photoshop - I owned one
for quite a while. I upgraded to a second hand G550 a while ago which has
more memory (i.e. more colours at higher resolutions) and also has a DVI
output for digital connection to a flat screen. It also has dual monitor
support as standard. I believe the g400 is agp x2 which unfortuntely does
not seem to be supported by modern motherboards and the g550 is agp x4
which will may not work on older motherboards I think the voltages where
different. The nice thing about second hand Matrox cards is they are cheap
because they are not great for 3d games and this seriously effects their
second hand price.
Regards
James

P.S.
I would suggest avoiding the cheaper range of iiyama monitors they are
fairly poor in terms of picture quality - my father has their bottom of
the range 19" crt. The more expensive range seem quite good I have the top
of the range 19" crt.