[OM] OT Computer monitor question

Subject: [OM] OT Computer monitor question
From: "Bart Wientjes" <bartjew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:05:40 +0200
Hi boys and girls,

Sometimes the yourger ones can be the oldest farts. Take me for instance:
I'm in the end of my mid thirties, but still shooting film. My wrist watch
is all mechanical and my PC's run Windows 2000.

Regarding the latter, my knowledge of computer screens dates from the times
that CRTs were still regarded superiour to TFTs for viewing photos. And 3D
graphics cards were considered inferiour for that task. So I use two
PC's: one with a CRT (20" Sony Triniton with a Silicon Graphics label, 10 ?
years old) and a Matrox Milennium G400 card. The second is equipped with
an TFT (17" EIZO, 4 years old) and an ATI Radeon 9600.

Currently, both my screens start decaying a bit. The CRT is not as sharp as
I'd like it to be (reading text can be fatiguing) and the TFT is starting to
show problems with the backlight. All in all, I'm considering my upgrade
options, and some questions arise. Perhaps some of you good folks can
provide an answer, share an opinion or a word of advice.

Have the TFTs surpassed the CRTs completely?
Are all graphics card equally capable for means of running PS and the likes?
Currently everything is at 1280x1024 resolution, but I'd like to have more,
so an 20" screen is likely to appear on my wishlist sometimes. What are the
recommended for a TFT that lets me do some decent editing and viewing? Any
recommendations for brands or models?
By what means can I check if my current screens are still any good? I don't
have colour calibration hardware.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Bart