[OM] I'm back - Now, what will it take to breath life into the e-1 syst

Subject: [OM] I'm back - Now, what will it take to breath life into the e-1 system
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:53:54 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/2006 10:59:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Chucks  comment about the 'long in the tooth E-1' kind of
gave me a grin as I have  been toying with picking one up and starting
the transition to digital!  The price is down to where I can actually
contemplate one these  days.

The e-1, IMHO, currently is a great buy.  When I bought mine 2 1/2  years ago
they were available at top dollar.  As the price has plummeted  with no
upgrade on the horizon and other companies have gone through  a generation or
two
of upgrades with their digital SLRs, there has  been fertile ground for
discontentment in the Olympus camp.  An  e-1 and a decent lens or two for under
$1000, is a good deal for someone  coming into the market, however for those
who
bought into the system in the  beginning, trusting that Olympus came to stay,
and who have several  thousands of dollars spent on a system that is stuck in
the mud, it can be and  is a bit frustrating.

The OM System was competitive with the Big Boys in features and  quality.
Olympus is not playing the same game or perhaps on the same  digital playing
field as Can*n and Nik*n.  This has cost them some loyal  customers, who in my
opinion will not be coming back when and if they get there  act together.
Photokina with no e-1 replacement will knock off a bunch of  the hangers on.
Another trade show or two without something pretty spectacular  will probably
do
them in, IMHO.  The replacement will need to be a  real Whiz Bang camera to
hold
the current group of e-1 users and to attract  others to the system, which is
what will be needed for them to  survive.  Given the support for the system
over the past 2 1/2 years, I'm  not particularly optimistic this will happen.
Yes, there are some  good lenses, features and accessories and look at what
others have to  offer.  Some version of IS seems to be a feature that is
standard in  other pro level DSLRs.  That will be a make it or break feature
for
many potential buyers.  It would seem they have had a reasonable amount of
time
to sort that one out.  It will be interesting to see what they come  up. if
anything, as a replacement for the e-1 and that will support the current  e-1
system.  It is important to note that while Olympus lets  their e-1 system
languish in the muck (other than a few consumer grade additions  to the 4
thirds
system) others are moving on, widening the gap between what  they offer and
what Olympus offers their customers.

My one parting shot will be that if you buy an e-1, the battery grip is a
must, IMHO.  More power and great ergonomics for horizontal and vertical
shooting.  <[8^)  Bill Barber