[OM] Re: OT: Profound need of notebook update

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Profound need of notebook update
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:25:14 -0500
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

>  Hope someone has an opinion on these monsters.  Chugging along with PIII
> Inspiron.  The migration to a new notebook will burn much time.  I'd rather
> pay more up front and get a year or two more.  (Can't complain as was given a
> Inspiron as part of a grant in 1999) PS is really the most resource intensive
> app that will be used. Couldn't care less about games, etc.
> Like the idea of possible raid 0 config. in a luggable form.  It is an 18 lb
> behemoth, though will only need to lug it 5-6X per year.
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

I've got to suggest you consider the new iMac. Screen options on
that one run up to 24", the specs are pretty close to the Dell (same
CPU/similar video/etc.), and even the 24" runs about half the price
of the top-line Dell. And now that Intel Macs will run Windows at
Windows-PC speeds, you're getting a lot for your money. Only
downside is that the iMac is a couple of pounds heavier than the
Dell (the 24"er understandably is a couple of pounds heavier still).

I think it would be worth a little of your time to stop by an Apple
Store or Apple reseller (preferably not CompUSA) to take a look. You
might be surprised ...

Steve