[OM] Re: E-series Trigger Voltage

Subject: [OM] Re: E-series Trigger Voltage
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 03:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
It is fairly easy to make a high voltage sync adapter for a few dollars, but it
is not worth the
risk to your camera, unless you know enough about electronics to test it before
using on camera.

A simpler solution that most people with modest soldering ability can safely
build and test, just
adds a device to limit the maximum applied voltage to 6V . This allows you to
then safely test if
your brand X flash will still trigger at the reduced 6V.  This will often
permit flashes with
trigger voltages of up to 20 to trigger properly with your camera, while still
limiting the
voltage to 6V safe levels.

Buy a $8 hotshoe to pc connector adapter and add a $0.5 5.6V,500mW zenner diode
with the postive
end (ring) connected to the hotshoe center connector, while other end goes to
hotshoe frame.

After building the adapter test it out off camera:  First measure the voltage
on the flash's
connector with no adapter connected, then put your voltmeter on the hotshoe
adapter and connect
the flash. The voltage should now drop to 6V or less. Short the hotshoe center
connector to frame
and the flash should trigger.  Now you can safely hook it up to your camera and
it should still be
able to trigger, if it did so in your test.

  If by chance you use it with a much higher trigger voltage flash, all that
will happen is the
flash will trigger when first connected, but not be triggered thereafter,
however the camera will
allways be protected with the voltage limited to <6V.

Tim Hughes