[OM] Re: Full-Frame Transfer CCD as opposed to Interlaced

Subject: [OM] Re: Full-Frame Transfer CCD as opposed to Interlaced
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:46:38 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck wrote:
> As the owner of an A1 I can attest that live view is a thing
> that's hard to get out of your head once you get used to it.
> But the A1 only has a 2/3 size sensor and is almost unusable
> above ISO 200 and isn't particulary quiet there either.

But to be fair, ISO 200 on the A1 is actually ISO 320. :)  If
you compare the images of the A1 to Portra 400NC in 35mm (which
is usually shot at 320), the prints of the A1 are usually better
in the grain/noise department.

The liveview of the A1 is cat's meow. If the C8080 had better
ergos and the performance of the A1, I'd give the toss in that
direction. 2/3 sized sensors CAN be pretty quiet and with a
decent RAW converter, images from the A1 and similar cameras
produce exceptionally usable results.

As mentioned before, I use RawShooter Essentials quite a bit for
my RAW conversion. In the 2006 version there is a new noise
filter slider on the bottom--pattern noise and something or the
other.  Well, if you crank that puppy over, the results of the
A1 look exactly like color-negative film.  Scary identical.

All this said, I'm getting much closer to retiring the A1. A new
E-body will replace it in my professional shooting arsenal and
it will end up either getting sold or farmed off to the girls.

If the E-400 has live-view and 10+ MP, I'm jumping in.  I don't
know how much longer I can wait for the uber-E.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com