[OM] Re: What's up with Tokina?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up with Tokina?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 06:50:04 -0400
I don't think that plastic has hit the 70-200/2.8 range lenses yet.  Or,
if it has, the weight must be mostly glass.  All lenses in this range
from Nikon, Canon, Sigma and Tokina weigh within a couple of ounces of 3
pounds or a little bit more if the lens has image stabilization.  Even
the ZD 50-200 (which is not a constant 2.8) weighs 2.4 pounds.

Another indication that the weight in a fast lens is mostly glass is in
a comparision of my Tokina 28-80/2.8 and the Tamron 28-75/2.8.  The
Tokina is all aluminum alloy.  The Tamron is largely plastic but the
weight difference is only 4.6 ounces.  The Tamron is reputed to be an
exceptional lens but I opted for the Tokina based on their MF/AF clutch
mechanism and commonality of filter sizes in zooms from 20-200mm.
Unfortunately those common filters sizes appear to be on a set of fast
disappearing lenses.

Chuck Norcutt