[OM] What's up with Tokina?

Subject: [OM] What's up with Tokina?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:07:44 -0400
Many of you know I have a Tokina 28-80/2.8 ATX Pro for my 5D and my plan
had been to add its sister lens the 80-200/2.8 ATX Pro.  That and the
20-35/2.8 ATX Pro make a very nice matched wide-tele set with all taking
77mm filters.

But by the time I went to place an order at B&H for the 80-200 I
discovered that the C*n*n mount version was discontinued and only the
N*k*n was available.  But that soon disappeared too.  Then I discovered
that the 20-35 had been discontinued as well.  There used to be 11 ATX
series lenses with 7 of them being labeled as the higher end ATX Pro.
Now there are only 5 ATX lenses being offered and 4 ATX Pro's.

I thought perhaps Tokina was draining the stock and preparing for some
new lenses but it has now been many months since the line started
dwindling and nothing has appeared to take the place of the missing.

Any rumors out there?  Is our venerable Tokina on its way out?

Chuck Norcutt