[OM] Re: isle royale trip

Subject: [OM] Re: isle royale trip
From: "Komtanoo Pinpimai" <romerun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:31:50 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ken,

We got there as planned, from Grand Portage to Windigo then headed to Huggin
cove, the trail is really challenge, several slopes, almost ran out of gas
when getting there, still hadn't seen any massive moose. The cove is
beautiful and quiet, we slept there for one night and headed back to
Washington camp because it's near the glossary store and bath rooms.
However, I've found the Washington camp another good spot for animal
observing since it's along the side of a small canal where birds feed. I was
very exciting waking up with a heron catching fishes in front of our
shelter.

Since we were so tired of hiking, the rest of the days, we rent a speed boat
to explore Grace island and the the ships wreck sites then camped at Beaver
island, unfortunately never found a beaver. Both islands are uniquely
beautiful but didn't have as many animals as the main island.

A day before we went back, I saw a head of a moose swimming a mile away on
binocular, not much exciting though. I couldn't believe I'd seen a
hummingbird on the way back to Washington camp, it's tiny and can float
itself on the air still in the same place, nevertheless it might be
something else..

Last, when arriving at Windingo, a ranger told us the island has magic to
bring people back, now I understand what she meant. Places on the island has
its own highlight, are not easy to explore, and getting there is at least
half of the fun, this feeling makes visitors curious and brings them back. I
haven't encountered a massive moose in close range and been only in slightly
parts of the Isle, probably, I'll give another try next year. Another
impression is the MN61 route to Grand Portage must be one of the US scenic
drive, it passes many lovely towns/cities and the Superior. Although we
didn't have much time, we stop at Grand Marias for a good moment.

About shooting, I took E300 with MF-1 + tele lenses + OM2s and one of my
friend hold E-1 with 14-54mm, one interesting fact I've discovered is that
E300+MF-1 battery had survived more than 4 days, while E-1+DZ could stand
only 3 days. It's strange that I took pictures more than he did, plus using
built-in flash in many occasion. I guess autofocus was the root of his
battery depletion.

The OM2s equipped with Illford XP2 in which I'm scaning with my poor scanner
right now, the result seems to be well exposed but when I do autolevel, it
looks over exposed, do you have any suggestion on how to make b/w scanning
looks great ? just using the manual level tool ?

-kem

--
when you were born, a problem was solved