[OM] strange om2 problem(s)

Subject: [OM] strange om2 problem(s)
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:01:12 +0100
Can I pick your brains?

I colleague of mine asked me to have a look at an om2 yesterday because
he suspected it was under exposing (he shoots negs not e6).

I have not used a om2 for a long time (it was my first camera) and never
on manual so I want to check that my understanding is correct before I
email him back.

I believe that in auto the om2 like the om4ti I own has OTF metering so
it monitors the film density hence changes in the light during the
exposure are taken into account. In manual the camera shutter should be
open for the time you specify regardless of any changes in the light -
or at least my om4ti works that way. Well if I am right about the om2
this om2 when set to *manual* *behaves* *exactly* the same way as when
set to *auto* i.e. set to manual set 1/1000 put on the lens cap - you
get a loooong exposure. set to manual point at a light set 1second
exposure and you get a very short exposure. Any ideas what might be
causing this???

I compared the shutter speeds in auto with my om4ti and the om2 (NO FILM
IN CAMERA) lens set to f16 pointed at a evenly lit wall and just counted
the seconds the shutter was open and found the om2 consistently closed
the shutter far earlier than the 4ti I estimate around 1.5 stops less
light gets in (4 seconds on the om4ti vs around 1 and a bit on the om2).
is this a reasonable test of auto or do I realy need a film in both cameras?

Regards and thanks for reading
James