[OM] Re: Samyang/Phoenix (was Re: OM mount)

Subject: [OM] Re: Samyang/Phoenix (was Re: OM mount)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:34:30 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:
>> Thanks for that!  Now I just need to add the Katz Eye screen to the
>> budget -
>> does anyone know why Olympus doesn't produce such spilt screens for their
>> digital cameras?  The 1-13 was the default one for the OM system.
>>
> The same reason that there isn't one for about any other AF camera, film or
> digital. You've got AF, why would you need a focus aid?
>
> Viewfinders started going downhill with AF, digital put the knife in.

A little unfair to blame it all on digital as such. It is a phenomenon
of small sensor digital, where the viewfinder image must be smaller
and/or dimmer in some combination because of the smaller image size in
the camera. APS film SLRs had the same problem, but nobody paid them any
attention at all anyway.

The full frame DSLRs all have replaceable focusing screens. The Kodaks
and the Canyon 1Ds series simply use the same broad range of screens as
the respective FF film bodies. The 5D is somewhere in between, with FF
but no split image finder. You may complain about that one without any
comment from me. :-)

Moose