[OM] Re: OM2n (selftimer ?) problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2n (selftimer ?) problem
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:27:12 -0400
It sounds to me like the self timer lever has come undone and been tighten
back down on the part to couples to. This could cause the symptom you
describe. To correct it you will need to undo and remove the self timer
lever recock the mechanism and reinstall the lever.

The screw holding the lever in is reverse threaded so turn it the "wrong"
way to remove it. I suggest using an eraser or a rubber block to remove it
if you don't have a pin wrench. Once you have removed the screw remove the
lever itself and any washers below it (remember the sequence they came off
in). Inside the hole on the front of the camera you should see a threaded
shaft with a sickle shaped partial ring around it. This ring is part of the
clockwork mechanism and the part the self timer couples to. If what I think
has occurred you will need to turn it counter clockwise around the shaft to
reset the mechanism. If you have a very fine blade jewelers screwdriver you
should be able to insert it between the gap at end of the ring (at
approximately 1 o'clock position if I recall correctly). Crank the ring
around to the 9 o'clock position and lock it with the self timer start/stop
tab. At this point you need to reattach the self timer lever itself. I would
recommend locating it pointing to 12 o'clock (straight up) to ensure it will
activate the mechanism correctly. Don't forget that the screw is reverse
threaded and turns the wrong way! Once the lever is back on start the self
timer and let it run till hopefully it fires the shutter (make sure the
shutter is cocked but don't force the lever if you feel resistance).

If this doesn't fix the problem them professional intervention is probably
required as the camera may be in an "over wound" state. This is basically
when the sequence of levers and gears in the winding mechanism are out of
sequence and need to be reset.

As others have said I think you probably did alright out of the deal with
24mm lens for that price. As always when taking stuff like this apart work
over a tray in good light and remember this advice is worth what you paid
for it! Good luck!

Dan S.