[OM] Re: Oly market share

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly market share
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
I think one reason for the Olympus drop has entirely to do with
anticipation of Photokina. Why buy an old model when the new
ones are about to be announced. Probably, historically, you'll
see a major drop in sales in July and August prior to Photokina.
That said, Sony's primary market is in consumer electroncs being
sold throw different venues than normal cameras are sold. The
average Sony buyer might not be quite as savy as other buyers.

As Nikon and Canon both experienced big drops in sales in July,
this explanation is the only one that makes any sense to me.

That, and maybe there was a lot of latent, built-up demand for
the Sony which was fulfilled in one month.  You cannot look at
one month's sales figures to determine who is going to survive
or not.  Olympus will be around for many years to come. They'll
always be a little odd when it comes to product introductions.
After all, they ran the OM-4xxx for HOW LONG?  They never did
replace it.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com