[OM] Re: New pics (again)

Subject: [OM] Re: New pics (again)
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:17:56 +1000
> Fabio Fiorellato wrote:
> [...]
> As a result, at the following link you'll find some new additions
>
> [ http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/tags/new/ ]
> [...]
> As always, your comments and suggestions will be warmly appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222812780/

I've taken a few of these geometrical architecture shots - I'm
sure quite a few of us have - however, apart from it being so
well-composed and selected, the thing that lifts this image
well up from my run-of-the-mill attempts is range of complementary
tones in it, with no harsh highlights or dark shadows hiding any
detail. It's one of those pictures that desires a careful print.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222812778/

I won't try to wax lyric with the above (oops, unintended pun
to content), but just say that, for me, this is a wonderful shot.
If you dripped hot wax on me and forced me to criticise, I'd
maybe crop just a smidgen on the left (but I haven't tried it,
so I might be wrong). This is my favourite.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222811811/

I do like this shot, but really I just wanted to comment that
it very much reminds me of Sydney, as the coast, in and out
of the Harbour, abounds with this intricately-scalloped sandstone.
I love the look of the stuff, but have never satisfied myself
with a photo of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222811230/

Similar to the candle shot above, I like this composition. In
this case, I think it would benefit from more depth of field,
as I think the background needs more rally (I assume) detail
to accompany Che. If you can just go back and have everyone get
in place again and retake it with more DoF, that'd be good.
I assume nothing's changed since 2006, and you have everyone's
phone number ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222811229/

Very "lively" protest shot, with the slower shutter speed used
to great effect. An angle slightly from the front rather than
the rear may have improved it (see above - just see if you can
get them to restage the rally for you :-) )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerside/222806602/

Now there's someone enamoured with and enraptured by the music
they're creating. I think it could bear a square crop, losing
the other player on the left entirely. I don't know if cropping
the microphone is possible (maybe digitally) or whether it's
required. I suspect it would work better, though it may be adding
another complimentary angle to the angle of the bass and player.
Don't lose that right hand though! It's the key for me.

Just one person's opinion, and, when you get down to brass
tacks, what I really am saying is "Gee, I wish I'd taken that"

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz