[OM] Re: OT car crashes & terrorism WAS Re: [OT] Flying with digital cam

Subject: [OM] Re: OT car crashes & terrorism WAS Re: [OT] Flying with digital camera
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:15:41 +0000
I've been driving since I was 13. I'll be 66 next February. I've only ever been
involved in one serious accident, which was when a bozo idiot going 50mph in a
Ford 150 pickup truck ran a light that had been red more than 15 seconds and
took the whole front end off my nearly-new red 1990 Nissan 300ZX. If I had been
three feet further into the intersection, I wouldn't have any legs today, six
feet further and I wouldn't be alive today.

I had said both to myself silently and out loud publicly that if some idiot
doing something stupid crashed my shiny new sports car, I'd shoot the SOB.
After being spun around 180 degrees and figuring I was still in one piece and
apparently okay, I extracted myself from the wreckage and came face to face
with the "idiot bozo," who began apologizing profusely and admitting his fault.
Instead of shooting him, I simply shrugged and said, "Shit happens."

The repair bill was just over $12,500, and since I had my baby hauled to the
best body shop I could find, she looked good as new six weeks later when they
finished. A couple of weeks after I got her back, I had a call from idiot
bozo's insurance company. Seems he had the minimum coverage required in Georgia
at that time, which was $10,000 for property damage, and since they had
mistakenly paid $2500 more for my repairs than his policy called for, they
wanted to know if I'd turn that amount in to my insurance company under my
$100,000 worth of under-insured motorist coverage.

I said the same thing to them I said to him, "Shit happens," and hung up.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --