[OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a canon 5d for

Subject: [OM] Re: please help to stop me boing digital and buying a canon 5d for my om lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:00:16 -0700
jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Help Help Help,

Others already in or near the dark side have pretty much answered all
your questions.

I've been mentioned as one who should know about metering with OM lenses
on the 5D, but I'm not expert there. My first C was a 300D and I did
some experimenting with it
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/300D/300Dexp.jpg>. I have no
idea whether the 5D would act the same, I'd bet not.

By the time I bought the 5D, I already had a few AF lenses to fit it, so
I've done only a little shooting with OM mount lenses. When I did some
comparison shots with various macro lenses, the exposures with the AF
Tamron 90/2.8, MF Tamron 90/2.5 and Zuiko 50/3.5 were all quite close to
each other using spot mode with evenly lighted subject on a copy stand.

The thing that's hard to get one's head around before having a DSLR is
how easy and cheap it is to simply take a shot, eyeball the image, with
flashing over and underexposed areas and/or histogram that pop up on the
LCD screen on the back, change the EV and shoot again if necessary.
Erasing the ones that didn't work is the matter of a moment. Adjusting
EV setting on the 5D is the fastest and easiest I've ever seen.

The $20 OM=>EOS adapter I bought from Hong Kong works perfectly as far
as I can see. I don't see what I would get for more money. I have two
now, one hand made and less elegant.

When the first Can*n FF bodies came out, many landscape shooters who
bought them found that the higher resolution of these sensors revealed
performance defects in their EF lenses that's hadn't been (so) obvious
with film. A few of them went on a rampage to find something better. And
the winners were a couple of Zeiss lenses and a few Zuikos. The Zuiko
18/3.5, 21/3.5 & 2.0 and 28/2.0 were right up there near or at the top.
Prices for these lenses in particular, and a few other Zuikos to a
lesser extent, shot up for a while and are still above their previous
levels. So you already have a couple of the best WA lenses available for
the 5D.

The utility of OM lenses on a 5D depends a lot on what you photograph
and how you work. It is much more slow and deliberate than with an AF
lens, which fits some people very well and would probably drive others
crazy.

Moose