[OM] Re: Bye-bye photography, hello paranoia..

Subject: [OM] Re: Bye-bye photography, hello paranoia..
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:35:25 -0600
People on this thread seem to be of the belief that photography in
public spaces has become harder since 9/11.  That may be strictly true,
but it's been getting harder for a very, VERY long time now.

Back in the 70s, when I first started photography in earnest, I did
"public-space" photography all the time.  There were rarely problems --
you know the type -- where some yahoo would say to me "You have to pay
me to use my photograph."  Back then, I actually didn't.

However, the law in Canada changed significantly due to a Supreme Court
decision in the mid-90s which actually restricted what could and could
not be photographed in public quite significantly.  Since then, I've
actually seen very little public-space photography anywhere.  Certainly
old-style candids are becoming quite rare.

These days, I do animal photography, landscapes, some macro,
architecture, and studio when I have a willing subject.  But were an
alien race to use my photographic record alone to make inferences about
humanity, they'd come to the conclusion that the human race apparently
died off somewhere in the mid-1990s.

I expect this to reverse, not because of a change in the law or people's
attitudes, but because a new wave of high-quality digitals will arrive
that are insanely small and easy to secret on one's person, which means
there'll be "outlaws" who take candids without permission or warning.
Then their biggest challenge will be to stay away from lawsuits...

Garth