[OM] Re: Bye-bye photography, hello paranoia..

Subject: [OM] Re: Bye-bye photography, hello paranoia..
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:00:42 -0700
There is no simple always successful method. Having grey hair (but dressing
reasonably nice) seems to help ... Having a lens with a huge front element
(24 shift etc) seems to also have a noticeable impact.

Don't hesitate to smile at people and say "Good morning" etc. Anyone
confronting you has surely watched you before approaching you.

People are often concerned why someone is taking pictures at a condominium
complex or even of their neighbors single family home. When they see me
being friendly with people passing by, they don't challenge me.

Last weekend a young boy with his two sisters kept coming up to me while I
was at the Oakland docks. I suspect the relatively big Tamron 80-200/2.8
sitting on a tripod, the 350mm Zuiko hanging from my shoulder, and a bag of
gear, put his parents at ease. The boy eventually wanted to look through my
camera. After he did I had to lift up his younger sister so that she could.
The boy at one point asked me to take his picture. Earlier a 20 something
testosterone loaded guy had quickly warned be that he would knock my camera
over if he got a bite on his fishing line. I ignored the threat and asked
him how his fishing was going. After I spent 15 minutes or so taking
pictures and started to leave, he was very quick to speak up and wish me
well.

Basically insist on having a pleasant time and be confident. I think the
good street photographers have an uncanny ability to put people at ease but
not affect to any significant extent what others are doing. I wish I could
do that.

-jeff