[OM] Re: [Photo] Any good...

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Any good...
From: "Christos Stavrou" <christos.stavrou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:27:22 +0100
My quick first thoughts:

I like the pattern of basically three dominant, and quite ordered in
space, tonalities: dark (of the wall), medium-grey (of the
face/shoulder), bright (of right side).Some may finfd this limiting
but I think it's a matter of style.

I find very interesting the parallel looking direction of the guy and
the car. This is probably the punktum of the photo...

I get a feeling of (slight?) uncomfortability... First, because of the
sun hitting crudely the face (something which he seems to try to
avoid.. or is he deep in thoughts?.. nice ambivalence anyway). Second
because he's been pushed too much on the right of the composition.
Some space between him and the car appear empty of well defined
meaning, unclear of what is telling us. Third, because elements from
the background 'grow' out of his head and compete with him. Whereas
the first aforerementioned element of uncomfortability is fine (and
probably desirable -according to your intentions- to give character to
the shot), and the second one is rather debatable, I don't like the
third one which I find distracting and compositionally weak.

If I was to reshot this shot I'll move the guy abit to the left, maybe
loosing some of the nice shadow on the bottom wood, but shortening the
distance between him and the vehicle,. and avoiding those windows
juxtaposing with the head. Actually I'd rather use them to frame it.

Good work Johan, thanks for reading all this..
regards
Christos