[OM] Re: F280 flash question

Subject: [OM] Re: F280 flash question
From: Duncan Paterson <depaterson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:42:48 -0700 (PDT)
Many thanks for the reply, Hans.

OK, so what the folks at Olympus should have written on p47 of the manual is
that: "under those conditions, the shutter will not in fact release" *at the
indicated speed*. However, I still don't understand why the flash indicated, by
illuminating the "normal" LED, that it had fired in conventional mode when it
hadn't done so. Just an electronic bug? Anyone else observed this or want to
try? If the pictures turn out well, I'll probably not give it much more thought.

While I'm on the subject, can one of the flash gurus tell me how the OM-4Ti and
F280 communicate with one another? Does the camera close only the contacts on
the hot-shoe which correspond to the appropriate flash mode, eg. FP mode at
shutter speeds faster than 1/60, while all pins on the flash foot are hot; or
are only the pins on the flash corresponding to the selected mode hot, prior to
firing? Or is it all much more complex than this. I'm by no means an
electronics expert (far from it) but I'm curious because the OM 707 can,
apparently, control the flash emission mode regardless of the position of the
mode selector on the flash itself.

Cheers,
Duncan.