[OM] Re: Oly list myth? was, Re: odd lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly list myth? was, Re: odd lens question
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:26:35 -0700
I would agree that holding the camera could cause more problems than it
prevents for some/many lens - tripod combinations. (I usually do it anyway
out of ease of operation)

Hanging a weight with a non-elastic cord positioned so that it partially
touches the ground would probably be the best way to stablilize the setup on
the tripod. Simply hanging more weight would probably change the frequency
and mode of vibration. Having a camera bag or bag of sand that would absorb
vibrations should help.

The mass of the shutter+ aperture has to be pretty small relative to the
mass of a telephoto lens + camera. Conservation of momentum would imply a
pretty small velocity that should be damped. My hands probably add more
movement than has to be damped, but the movement is relatively slow.

-jeff
I was pretty sure I had seen the comment  about holding the camera in an
Olympus manual some time in the last two or three years. I don't remember
looking at an OM2 manual however. It was simple luck that I had a OM2 pdf on
my hard drive.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the reference but the advice seems to have been short lived.
   I can only find it in the 2 and 2n manuals.  If any advice is offered
at all in the other manuals it says to use a cable release.  Is this an
Oly  list myth?  Perhaps it's related to the elimination of the mirror
lockup in favor of a shock absorber when moving from the 1 to the 2.

Chuck Noructt