[OM] Re: E-300 was Candace

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300 was Candace
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:07:28 -0700
WARNING - THE FOLLOWING SHOULD NOT BE APPLIED TO xD CARDS.
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> If the software is written properly it doesn't make any difference how
> you clean up the card.  Deleting all or formatting will end up in the
> same place.
>
> Deleting, however, is a much more complex (and potentially time
> consuming) operation with much more opportunity for the software to
> screw up and leave detritus laying about in places it ought not to be.
> The probability of that happening is extremely small.  But, having done
> software development (and especially testing) for more years than I care
> to remember, I always opt for the simplest operation over the complex
> one if I have a choice.
>
> It could even be that Oly implements "delete all" as a format operation
> but given my 'druthers I'll choose format.  Unless "delete all" is
> implemented as a format the format operation may well be faster.

Sorry Chuck, but Walt mentioned his wife's Oly compact with xD card and
others here also have these. What you say is entirely valid as far as I
know for CF cards.

However, your text could easily be read, at least by me, to say it
doesn't matter whether you format the card in the computer or the
camera  In the case of xD cards, formatting on a computer may well
render them completely useless in the camera. Lots of people have had
this experience, where the camera simply doesn't recognize the card at all.

There are some possible work-arounds, but the best advice is never to
format an xD card except in the camera with which you are going to use it.

Moose