[OM] Re: odd lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: odd lens question
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:19:58 -0700
>Yesterday, I saw a Vivitar Series 1 200/3 lens in a shop. Two questions:
>
>1. Is this lens any good? Monaghan's site speaks well of it, but sometimes
>he seems a bit over the top...
>
>B. It was marked at $79. I may be able to get it down a bit, but likely not
>more than about $10. Several years ago, I saw they had a box of NIB Nikor
>reels, and they wanted current list price and were inflexible. Still got
>them.
>
>Bill Pearce

I've got the Series 1 135/2.3.  It is sharp and it will focus closer than my
Zuiko 2.8.  IT IS BIG AND HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY.  Did I say it weighs a lot?

I'll use it in two spots:

1. I'll put it on the 65-116 tube for macros of things I really don't want to
get all that close to.  The Zuiko will get to about 1:1 at about 11 inches, the
Vivitar will get to about 1.2:1 at 10 1/2 inches.  Is it worth it from that
perspective, probably not.  I've got a Kiron 105 that I would break out first.
With the 105 coupled with to a Kiron 1.5 or the Vivitar adjustable 2x converter
I can stand further off with less weight.  Did I mention the Vivitar is heavy?

2. Lens stacking.  When I stack lenses on the Zuiko, it will vignette much more
severely than the Vivitar.  I use a 72-55 reducer then a 55-49 macro ring
adapter to mount the secondary lens.  From that perspective, the Vivitar wins
hands down.

For a lark (for the lens stacking), I'd pick it up.  I tried to get one the
bidding place a while back but wasn't willing to shell out what it eventually
sold for.

Jay - still shooting film and doing it badly, thank you very much.